15 June 2016

My Top 10 Highlights of E3 2016 | List


This is a list of my top 10 highlights of E3 2016, the list is about games which have either been announced or have previously been revealed and just expanded on at the event. This year has been one of the strongest ever for Sony and because of that a lot of the games on the list are from that conference, however there are also quite a few from the other conferences too. All in all it's been a really good year for E3, with a lot of games being announced, a lot of actual gameplay being shown, a lot of release dates given and a lot of unexpected shocks. Anyway, without further ado, here's the list, starting from my least anticipated to most anticipated.

10
God of War


Sony Conference
Release Date: Unknown (PlayStation 4)

What a way to open an E3 conference, with one of the most well known PlayStation exclusives in recent years being revealed to a full live orchestra. God of War is a series I've always wanted to get into because I like the setting and story but because it's a hack and slash game it's completely put me off. Maybe one day I'll give the older ones a play but for now let's talk about the new game announced at E3.

It looks like a huge departure from the previous entries in the series, featuring a much older (and bearded) Kratos who has a son and is acting like an actual father (albeit a somewhat harsh one). We saw Kratos taking his son on a hunting trip and teaching him how to track and kill, but while setting out to do this, they are ambushed by huge monsters and Kratos has to jump into action. Unlike the other games, this one doesn't appear to be a hack and slash game, the combat looks more similar to a Dark Souls game, having a much slower and methodical place and featuring dodging and a heavier emphasis on timing. The camera is also mostly placed over the shoulder making it look like The Last of Us at times. I like the look of this over it's predecessors in every single way and I'm pretty sure that rather being a continuation of the series this might be a reboot, but we'll have to see when more information is revealed.

9
Days Gone


Sony Conference
Release Date: Unknown (PlayStation 4)

Something else I really didn't expect was to have a open world post apocalyptic zombie game on this list. But where most of these kind of games look somewhat cheap or uninteresting to me (like State of Decay, Infestation: Survivor Stories and Day Z) Days Gone actually looks well made.

Beyond being well made though, it also looks to be quite tense, with hordes of running zombies (think 28 Days Later) coming after you if you're heard or spotted by them. The environments look impressively interactive, you see the main character closing gates, breaking windows, moving obstacles out of the way and much more in order to escape and block the zombies path.

Oddly enough, from the initial trailer shown at E3 I didn't care about this at all, but at the end of the conference when the gameplay was shown, it looked surprisingly good and I don't normally think that about these kinds of games. Of course, we didn't see much gameplay in the grand scheme of things and it could have been made to look a lot better than it actually is because of the scripted nature of E3 gameplay showcases, but still. This has potential.

8
Grow Up


Ubisoft Conference
Release Date: August 2016 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One & PC)

Grow Up is a sequel to the 2015 3D platformer game (something which is a bit of a rarity nowadays) 'Grow Home'. I only heard about Grow Home because it was free on PlayStation Plus a while ago, but I'm so glad I gave it a chance because I loved it and I think it's very much a hidden gem.

Grow Up looks to expand on the groundwork that Grow Home set out by offering a bigger map to explore and instead of making your way to a spaceship (like in Grow Home), you're now growing and riding plants all the way to the moon. There's also a lot of new abilities that you can use to change the environment and navigate your way through the air.

It's a cute game with interesting mechanics, bright and appealing graphics and a memorable main character in the form of the wobbly robot called B.U.D.

7
We Happy Few


Microsoft Conference
Release Date: July 26, 2016 (Xbox One & PC)

I hadn't heard of this game until I saw it at this year's E3 and I don't know how I had missed out on it because it looks fantastic. It's set in a retro futuristic world (obviously inspired by Bioshock judging from the art style) where people must take 'Joy' pills which change the world around them into a much more positive place while also keeping you as a content and happy prisoner.

It's a survival game, meaning you have to search for food and water while avoiding suspicion from all of the happy people otherwise your cover will be blown and you'll be forced to take more 'Joy'. Your ultimate objective is to escape the city but to do so there will be a lot of obstacles in your way.

It's an interesting concept made better with it's setting and art style and I'm very much looking forward to playing this.

6
The Last Guardian


Sony Conference
Release Date: October 26, 2016 (PlayStation 4)

This is a game which has been in development for an extremely long time and has also been anticipated for a long time because of this. Whether the game will live up to those years of anticipation I have no idea, but what I can say is that this game not only looks great from a gameplay perspective but also looks like it'll be an emotional journey too.

It's an adventure game developed by Team Ico (the studio behind Ico and Shadow of the Colossus) and features a young boy who meets a large dog/bird hybrid and the two proceed to help and protect each other as they go on a journey. The graphics and art style also look amazing with the contrast between the boy and the creature being striking because of their differences, but them working together regardless, it reflects the story and gameplay elements which is something I appreciate.

5
Inside


Microsoft Conference
Release Date: June 29, 2016 (Xbox One) & July 7, 2016 (PC)

Those of you that have read some of my other lists could probably have seen this one coming. I'm a huge fan of Limbo and I've been anticipating Inside since it was revealed. Although not a lot more was shown of it this year, we did get a look at some new sections of the game and finally got a solid release date!

For those that don't know what Inside is, it's a 2.5D cinematic platformer which looks to be set in a dystopian future where you play as a young boy who seems to be escaping from a large facility. No story information has been given officially so this is all speculation, however what I can say is that it looks great.

4
Resident Evil 7


Sony Conference
Release Date: January 24, 2017 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One & PC)

What can I say about this? I didn't think in a million years a new Resident Evil title would be high up on one of my highlights or best lists, but here we are. The trailer kept me guessing what this game was throughout, it looked genuinely terrifying and reminded me of the atmosphere that P.T. was drenched in, while also reminding me of Outlast too (I could have sworn this was a teaser for Outlast 2).

If the game is anything like this trailer makes out, this is going to be absolutely terrifying, I was on the edge of my seat just watching it, never mind playing it. When the game's title begun to fade in and simply said "VII" I had no idea what was going on, and then the full title faded in and simply said "Resident Evil VII" I was so surprised and didn't expect this from this franchise at all. I really hope they don't ruin this, they seem to know what they're going for with the atmosphere this time and the new first person camera shows that they are obviously looking to revitalise the series and I think this is not only a very good thing, but also quite brave and respectable of them.

Also it's VR compatible... I don't think I could handle that...

3
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild


Nintendo Conference
Release Date: 2017 (Wii U & NX)

Wow. Nintendo are known for not being very good at changing their franchises and for offering the same or very similar experiences again and again. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild seems to be on a mission to change this. Gone is the linear gameplay from all previous Zelda titles, now there is a truly open world with a lot more RPG elements thrown in. Customisable costumes, a crafting system, deeper combat systems and eating food rather than finding floating hearts to recover health all make this feel fresh while still clearly being a Zelda game. The new Zelda seems to be throwing the rule book out the window and I'm very excited to play it.

It has a jump button, a climbing mechanic and so much more that other Zelda games have never had. With games like Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3 being so open and free, it seems fitting that Zelda has now took this route too.

Whereas all the previous games in the series have been a medieval fantasy setting, the new entry seems to feature more technology rather than being entirely magical. The environments seem a lot more interactive, with you being able to burn and cut down trees, as well as building campfires and other objects. Not to mention that it looks fantastic visually, with bright cartoon-like graphics that all look crisp, clear and vibrant.

This is definitely a must buy for me, and I'll be picking it up as soon as possible.

2
Death Stranding


Sony Conference
Release Date: Unknown (PlayStation 4)

This is yet another title I didn't expect to see anything about at all at this year's E3 event. Hideo Kojima (the mastermind behind the Metal Gear Solid franchise) is making a new game after his controversial departure from Konami. The game is being developed by his own team (Kojima Productions) and Sony.

No gameplay was shown, but the cinematic trailer is interesting and sets the tone for the upcoming game extremely well. Some things in the trailer bring to mind the cancelled Silent Hills and the infamous P.T. teaser game (for example Norman Reedus portraying the main character and the strange supernatural baby) but I think this is a coincidence and it most likely has nothing in common with the cancelled Silent Hills game beyond this.

Let's face it, it's a Hideo Kojima game, so we know it's going to be good. I just can't wait to hear more about what this game is. Personally, after playing P.T. I'm really hoping for a horror game but I'm sure whatever genre it is, it will be amazing.

1
Crash Bandicoot (Remake)


Sony Conference
Release Date: Unknown (PlayStation 4)

The long rumored return of the PlayStation mascot is finally upon us. Although first starring in add on content for Skylanders: Imaginators, Crash Bandicoot is returning in a remake of his first three games (Crash Bandicoot, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back and Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped) which were originally developed by Naughty Dog. Unexpectedly, the remakes will be made in a partnership between the original owners of the Crash Bandicoot franchise (Sony) and the current owners (Activision) which is something I never would have expected.

These three games are among the first games I ever played and hold up today as some of the best 3D platformers ever made. A new lick of paint, trophy support and slightly modifiying the first Crash Bandicoot game's checkpoint and save system to be more in line with the second and third game's is all I could ask for. The actual details of the remake are unknown as of yet (for example whether it will be a retail release or download only, it's release date and gameplay footage) but I have extremely high hopes for this and I hope it meets them.

That's the end of my list, although I do want to go through a few honorable mentions because there are quite a lot of other games which I'm also very much looking forward to or interested in. The first is a game called Fe which was at the EA conference which looks like a 3D adventure game similar to Journey, the Skyrim Special Edition which is a remaster of the critically acclaimed Bethesda game, Sea of Thieves which was shown at the Microsoft conference and is an online survival game where you play as a pirate and must enlist the help of other pirates to control a ship and take to the high seas, you can also fight other pirate ships, making it a great co-op game. Recore is a third person shooter featured at the Microsoft conference where you can find cores and place them in robots which then proceed to help you navigate your way around and help you fight. Detroit: Become Human is the next game by Quantic Dream (who made Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls) and looks to be the same style of game as the previous ones, only in a futuristic cyber-punk setting, this was shown at the Sony Conference.

That was a lot to get through, but I hope you enjoyed reading my list. Tell me what you think on my Facebook page or by leaving a comment below! I would be interested to know what other people's highlights were.

No comments:

Post a Comment